MONASTERIES & CHURCHES
Churches in Rudno
Two Churches are located in the vilage Rudno; The Church of St. Sava Nikolaja Mirlikijskog Čudotvorca was built in the 9th century. It is 1.5 kilometers of the Ethno Resort Šekler hidden in a forest.
The Church Holy Trinity is 800 m of the Ethno Resort.
12 km from the village Rudno; Gradac Monastery is placed in the foothill of mountain Golija close to the town of Raska, built in the late 13th century. It was founded by the Holy Queen Helen of Anjou (in monasticism Jelisaveta), the mother of the holy Serbian kings - Milutin and Dragutin, wife of the Serbian King Uros the First, and one of the most influential and the most prominent personalities of this time.
15 km from the village Rudno and 40 km from Raska; Studenica Monastery is one of the most beautiful Serbian monasteries not just due to its refined Byzantine Raska school of architecture, but also for the lovely landscape where it is located. Studenica was built by Stefan Nemanja in the period from 1183 to 1196.
25 km from the village Rudno; Stara Pavlica Monastery lies on the rocky plateau above the Ibar River, in the village of Pavlica, 6 km north of Raska.
It is believed to originate from the pre-Nemanjic era, or from the very beginning of their rule at the end of the 12th century. The monastery is mentioned for the first time in the Charter of King Stefan the First.
The Pillars of St. Geotge Monastery (Đurđevi Stupovi)
56.5 km from the village Rudno; Pillars of St. George Monastery (Đurđevi Stupovi), is the the endowment of the Great Zupan (King) Stephen Nemania. The complex comprising the Church of St. George, the refectory, dormitories, the water tanks and walls with the entry tower, was built in the 8th decade of the 12th century.
66.2 km from the village Rudno; Sopoćani Monastery, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is an endowment of Serbian king Stefan Uroš I (1243-12769). The endowment of the third son of King Stefan Prvovenčani surpasses all others with its beauty and grandeur.
The frescoes in the monastery are a true masterpiece of art that have brought international fame to the Sopoćani monastery. Today this is one of the most important cultural monuments that was included in the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1979.